Appliquéd Winter Tree Pillow
Inspired by Scandinavian sensibility, the design of this lovely wool throw pillow is the creative collaboration between Ann Sather, Linda Spillmann and the Fabricate Team for Boulder Lifestyle Magazine. Find directions and tree templates below as well as detailed pictures in Boulder Lifestyle Magazine’s December 2015 issue.
1/2 yard of background fabric (we used 100% wool in winter white)
3 coordinating scrap fabrics – linen, cotton, wool, felt, and fleece all work well at least 5” x 12”
Matching and/or contrasting thread
22 inch coil zipper in a contrasting color
A good pair of scissors or rotary cutter and ruler
18” x 18” pillow form
1. Cut 2 squares of background fabric measuring 18” x 18”.
2. Trace 3 trees with tree templates on to coordinating fabric and cut them out.
3. Sew around the perimeter of the trees on the right side of the front of pillow fabric in the position and color of thread that you choose. You may also want to use a decorative stitch with your sewing machine. Set aside.
4. Install the Zipper:
A. Cut a horizontal line across the top of the back of the background fabric, 3.5 inches from the top.
B. Place the right edge of the zipper, pull side up, onto the left edge of the lower cut back piece, pin. Using a zipper foot if you have one, sew the length of the zipper with a regular stitch length (2.8) to the length of the fabric, using a quarter inch seam allowance, backstitching at the top and bottom. Topstitch to the left of that seam, slowly, making sure your seam is straight.
C. Repeat for the other side, pin zipper to the right side of the cut fabric, zipper pull up, pin, sew, topstitch.
5. Cut excess zipper and sew perpendicularly over the end of the zipper to create a stop.
6. Open the zipper half way and place the right sides of the pillow front and back together in the desired direction and pin all the way around the four sides of the pillow. Start sewing on a corner and sew all the way around the pillow with a ¼ inch seam allowance. Clip corners.
7. Turn the pillow right side out through the zipper opening.
8. Insert the pillow form and admire your work!
The sewing machines and all other tools and equipment in the Fabricate studio can be used in Independent Studio time for $10/hour. The Janome DC 2015 sewing machines, like the ones used in our studio, can be purchased locally at Sew-Vac of Boulder.