- This event has passed.
Whole Cloth Quilt | Introduction to Quilting Class
July 17 @ 9:00 am - 12:30 pm MDT$80
Are you curious about quilting but don’t know where to start? Or would you like to learn new skills to improve your sewing proficiency? In this three-and-a-half-hour class, you’ll learn all the quilting basics. We’ll cover the progressive steps of quilt-making, from creation to finished product. Students will explore principles of design as well as the mechanics of rotary cutting, machine quilting, and binding. At the end of class, students will have mostly completed their own whole cloth quilt (homework will be to hand-sew the back of the binding) and will have gained the confidence to sew many more.
We strongly recommend that you bring your own sewing machine with a walking foot to this class. If circumstances don’t allow this, you can rent one ours for $10 for the day. Using your own machine will allow you to become more comfortable with it so that you will be perfectly prepared to continue quilting in the future. Sewing experience is necessary.
Materials – Materials for 42”x 42″ whole cloth quilt:
- Fabric for front: 44″
- Fabric for back: 46″
- Binding: 1/2 yard
- Batting: 45″ of low-loft cotton or wool batting
- Spray adhesive for fabric
- 100% Cotton thread to coordinate with quilt top/bottom for quilting
- 100% Cotton thread to coordinate with back for hand-sewing binding
Basic supplies for quilt-making/Optional:
- Rotary mat (at least 18” x 24”)
- Rotary cutter with a new blade
- Quilter’s rulers (24 1/2 ” x 6 1/2” and 12 1/2” x 6 1/2” are good basics)
- Sewing machine with walking foot
- Fabric marking pen
- Wonder clips
- Seam ripper
*Face masks are required for those who are not vaccinated and encouraged if you are. We will have our air purifier running and open windows during class.
Instructor: Lisa Nibarger