Intro to Quilting – Wednesday Mornings
February 26 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm MST
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Wednesday, repeating until February 26, 2020
Are you curious about quilting but don’t know where to start? Or would you like to learn new skills to improve your sewing proficiency? In this comprehensive three-part series, you’ll learn all the quilting basics. We’ll cover the progressive steps of quilt-making, from creation to finished product. Students will explore principles of design as well as the mechanics of rotary cutting, piecing, machine quilting and binding. At the end of class students will have completed their own unique quilt and will have gained the confidence to sew many more.
Please expect some sewing homework between classes. If you don’t have your own sewing machine, you may schedule Fabricate’s Independent Studio Time to use our machines. Some sewing experience is necessary.
Class size is limited to three students to give lots of individualized attention.
Cost: $150 plus materials (students receive a 15% discount an all materials, including notions, purchased at Fabricate for class.)
*The series will begin on Wednesday, February 12th from 10-2. The series will continue on the following two Wednesdays, the 19th & 26th and will run from 10 – 1 on those dates for a total of 10 hours of classroom instruction.
Materials – Materials for 39”x 49″ lap quilt:
- Background fabric: 2 yards
- Fabric for center squares: 1/8 yard
- Fabric for block “frames”: 1/2 yard
- Fabric for back: 1.5 yards
- Binding: 1/2 yards
- Batting: 1 1/3 yards low-loft cotton or wool batting
- Cotton thread in a neutral color for piecing
- Cotton thread to coordinate with quilt top for quilting
- Cotton thread to coordinate with back for hand-sewing binding
- 505 Temporary Fabric Adhesive for spray basting
Basic supplies for quilt-making:
- Rotary mat (at least 18” x 24”)
- Rotary cutter with a new blade
- Quilter’s rulers (24 1/2 ” x 6 1/2” and 12 1/2” x 6 1/2” are good basics)
- Sewing machine with walking foot
- Sharp straight pins
- Appliqué needle for hand-sewing binding
- Best Press starch
- Seam ripper